Even the most detailed information provided by manufacturers will not provide as much information about tyres as thousands of opinions of drivers who checked the particular model in practice. The following ranking of the best 15" winter 185/65 size tyres was based on the ratings by our customers from January 2018 to September 2019.
The best 185/65 R15 winter tyres
The ranking of the best models was based on drivers’ reviews taking into account the following aspects of tyre performance: drivability in various conditions, driving comfort and economy. The experience of other drivers should be helpful for those who still face the choice of new tyres for the winter season.
Tyres in size 185/65 R15 fit such car models as Alfa Romeo 147; Audi A4; Citroen C3, Xsara Picasso; Dacia Logan, Sandero; BMW 3 Series; Honda Accord; Peugeot 207; Hyundai i30; Mercedes A Class; Nissan Almera; Vauxhall Astra.
The best 185/65 R15 tyres according to drivers
|Nokian WR D4||5,45|
|Nokian WR D3||5,35|
|Pirelli Cinturato Winter||5,35|
|Hankook Winter i*cept RS2 W452||5,25|
|Fulda KRISTALL MONTERO 3||5,2|
*As of September 2019. Tyres are rated on a scale from 1 to 6, where 6 is the highest possible score. The results do not include models that did not obtain the required number of opinions. Ratings presented on our website may slightly differ from those presented in this ranking because they are based on reviews of all sizes rated.
Nokian WR D4
The best rated tyre model which comes first in our ranking is the Nokian WR D4 with excellent average score 5.45. The tyre was particularly appreciated for its driving economy and reliability in challenging winter conditions. Drivers who had the opportunity to test Nokian tyres primarily appreciated their good grip even in difficult conditions.
According to Oponeo portal users:
- Over 7,000 km without any signs of use, excellent absorption on uneven road surfaces and low rolling resistance. (Bart)
- The price of tyres as well as their quality and performance is very good. (JJ)
- Good comfort of driving, without perceptible unevenness of the road surface which is very important in a car with a firm suspension. The wheels have good grip on the road and are not likely to skid even when braking suddenly. (J.G)
- Very silent driving, very good traction when cornering, excellent grip on snowy roads. I used these tyres only for one winter season, and having covered just 3000 km, there are no visible signs of wear. Compared to the factory 19" summer tyres, fuel consumption is lower (…) (Mark)
Nokian WR D3
The second place in the ranking goes again to the product of the Finnish manufacturer. Nokian WR D3, the predecessor of "D4", is a premium model of a classic winter tyre. High quality and reliability are confirmed by drivers in their opinions giving it an average rating of 5.3.
Nokian WR D3 show their full potential in the most challenging conditions, on snow and ice. A special rubber compound which does not stiffen in the cold contributes to their excellent parameters. Their durable structure ensures reduced rolling resistance, therefore the tyres can be described as "environmentally friendly”.
What do drivers think about these tyres?
- Excellent rolling properties, very silent, which increases driving comfort. Highly recommended. (John)
- I have used those tyres for half a year. I admit that they are definitely one of the best tyres I've had so far. They perform very well both on dry and wet surfaces. They don’t generate much noise, which I enjoy a lot. As far as the snowy roads are concerned, I cannot say much because this year there was practically no snow in winter. I think they offer really great quality for their price. (Davidoff)
Pirelli Cinturato Winter
Cinturato Winter - the winter model from the famous manufacturer - Pirelli - was highly rated by drivers who ordered it at Oponeo.pl. The tyres of the Italian brand perform well in difficult conditions and hence their almost ideal average rating - 5.35. Pirelli was just behind the second place, only fewer number of ratings decided about their place in the ranking. What makes these tyres different from the competitive models? A special rubber compound which significantly shortens the stopping distance in freezing temperatures, and the directional tread protecting the vehicle against hydrodynamic slip.
Let's take a look at some drivers' comments about this tyre model:
- I bought those tyres this year and immediately after fitting them on my car I went skiing with my family to Italy. The tyres performed very well, and I highly recommend these tyres to everyone. They are silent, bring comfort to driving experience. (Sir)
- Very good tyres, one of the best I've ever used, I survived winter in the mountains driving with them like never before. They look like brand new after 4363 kilometres. (Peter)
Hankook Winter i*cept RS2 W452
The fourth position in the tyre ranking went to a medium price model - Hankook Winter i*cept RS2 W452. The model was rated by drivers at 5.25, and its biggest advantages include good grip on snowy surface and eye-catching appearance. Designers of this tyre model decided to use a directional V-shaped tread improving traction on the snow and performing well on icy surfaces.
Opinions of users at Oponeo portal:
- I have these tyres fitted on three vehicles. In Skoda Superb I drove two seasons - 80,000 km in total and I can honestly recommend them to all drivers. The only disadvantage, but probably a standard issue, is that they will not survive the third season because of the mileage, speed and my driving style, and therefore need to be replaced. I often drive in Germany so usually at a different speed than here. (Daniel)
- These tyres are perfectly suited for the winter conditions in our country. Great performance on wet surfaces. (Michael)
- This Korean product is far beyond my expectations. No winter conditions are a threat. (Paul)
Fulda KRISTALL MONTERO 3
The next medium price model in the ranking. The tyre with excellent resistance to abrasion and efficient drainage of water, mud and snow from under the wheels protecting the vehicle against aquaplaning. Drivers appreciate the safety ensured by Kristall Montero 3 and rated it an average of 5,2.
Fulda Kristall Montero tyres are appreciated by drivers all over Europe owing to their versatile properties and high comfort of driving. They perform well when driving in the city and on longer routes alike.
Comments on Oponeo about this model are as follows:
- Very good tyres, good drainage of slush and water, surprisingly quiet compared with other winter tyres. I would honestly recommend them to everyone. (Greg)
- I was really surprised by these tyres. They have excellent grip on wet surfaces. They perform really well on dry roads, too. Snow and mud are not a problem. I ventured into the wilderness a few times this winter and had no problems at all. (Michael B)
How do you choose winter tyres tailored to your needs?
The tyres in size 185/65 R15 presented in the ranking were rated by drivers over the past 2 years. Each of the five models presented herein has its inherent advantages, but the priority shall be the suitability to individual needs of the driver. Regular, long distance driving on motorways requires different tyres than off-road drive in the mountains.
When choosing new tyres, it is worth paying attention not only to the ratings of other drivers, but also descriptions of manufacturers and the results of tests conducted by automotive organizations. More varied opinions and data will allow you to choose tyres that best suit your needs.
Tyre labels are also worth analysing. Although they do not typically refer to winter parameters, they contain information on tyre performance such as noise generation, fuel efficiency and stopping distance on wet surfaces.